Whether you’ve lived in Memphis, Tennessee your entire life or if you’re new to the city, you know just how hot it can get during the summertime. Staying cool in Memphis is key for all residents, especially those who have young children, elderly relatives, and pets. Knowing how to keep your family and pets cool during the hot Memphis summer is essential to prevent potential health issues and discomfort. With the right tips and an ongoing AC maintenance plan, ensure that you and your loved ones remain comfortable year-round. HVAC service procedures from local professionals can ensure you unit is working properly all summer long.
Dangers Residents and Pets Face With No AC
During the hottest months of the year, the city of Memphis can reach sweltering temperatures. In some instances, temperatures may climb over 100 degrees. For those whose HVAC systems are down or not functioning properly, the outcome can quickly turn from dangerous to deadly.
Each year, thousands of individuals across the country experience heat stroke and health-related issues due to hot temperatures. This is especially true among those who require air conditioner repairs and unsuccessfully seek out AC repair services in time.
For those who are having trouble with their air conditioner or are in need of local AC repairs, there are many potential health-related dangers that can arise from extremely hot temperatures. Some of the most common dangers and risks that are associated with extreme temperatures and the summertime include:
- Exhaustion: Heat exhaustion is extremely common among the elderly, pets, as well as those who have compromised immune systems (as well as other preexisting conditions).
- Heat stroke: Another potential risk of being exposed to extremely high temperatures for an extended period of time is heat stroke. Heat stroke can occur anytime an individual’s body temperature reads higher than 105 degrees Fahrenheit. Some of the most common signs that are associated with heat stroke include extreme confusion, exhaustion, hyperventilation, a loss of consciousness, hallucinations, and in some cases, even seizures. A rapid heartbeat can also indicate that an individual is currently experiencing heat stroke, even if they are stuck indoors.
- Dehydration: Whenever you find yourself in the heat, it’s important to stay as hydrated as possible. When temperatures rise, those exposed to prolonged heat can experience a rapid heartbeat, low pressure, and in extreme or severe cases, even a total loss of consciousness.
- The potential to faint: For those who already struggle with their blood pressure, there is an increased risk of fainting. Fainting occurs in those who have been exposed to extreme heat for an extended period of time, resulting in a loss of blood pressure throughout the body.
Taking health-related dangers seriously is essential when you are in need of an HVAC repair service in the hot Memphis summer. HVAC companies are experienced, licensed, and prepared to assist with AC repair solutions or AC system replacement cost estimates, depending on your needs.
Dangers for Pets in High Heat
If you have any pets in your home in Memphis, keeping them cool and sheltered during the hottest months is highly recommended. This can help to prevent potential health issues along with additional life-threatening risks from arising. Signs of heatstroke in pets should be taken seriously and immediately addressed. The signs of heatstroke in dogs and cats typically include the following:
- Extreme or excessive painting
- Increased and/or excessive thirst
- Lethargy that is unusual for your pet
- Increased or rapid heartbeat
- Difficulty breathing
- Dizziness or difficulty maintaining their balance
- Loss of muscle coordination
- Increased salivation
- Loss of consciousness in extreme and severe cases
Any time your pet is exposed to the hot heat of a Memphis summer, it’s important to provide them with shelter and the ability to cool off as quickly as possible. Allowing your pets to stay indoors during the hottest months of the year is also advisable.
Providing Pets With Relief From Heatstroke
If you believe your pet is suffering from heatstroke, it’s important to address the issue as quickly as possible. Delaying treatment can lead to serious if not life-threatening scenarios. If possible, move your pet into a cool area of the home. Turn on your air conditioner to provide cool circulating air. If your HVAC system is down, reach out to a local repair service for a solution that is right for you in a timely manner.
You can also apply cold or wet towels to your dog to help cool their body temperature down. This is ideal whether you have a working AC system or not. Additionally, you can also run cold water down your animal’s body if they are extremely overheated. Provide your pets with cold water and include ice cubes to help them cool down fast.
Signs You Require Repair Services for Your AC System or Unit
Knowing how to spot a potential issue with your AC system or your HVAC unit before it breaks down is not only a way to save time, but it may help to save on repair or replacement costs. If you are unsure if your AC unit requires professional inspection, there are a few signs of trouble to keep an eye on.
Odd or Excessive Noise
If you hear excessive noise or strange sounds coming from your HVAC unit or your AC system, it may be time to call the professionals. Unexpected and excessive noises are indicators that there is a bigger issue that requires further inspection.
This is one of the most common signs that your HVAC unit is in need of an inspection or repair. Noticing weakened airflow coming out of your vents may indicate that your vents or ducts require cleaning or that your AC system requires a professional repair job.
Lack of Cooling
Have you noticed that even when you are running your air conditioning it does not seem possible to keep your home cooled or at a set temperature? The inability to effectively cool down your home may be an indicator that there is something wrong with your HVAC system or the air conditioner you are using itself.
Increased Energy Bills
Another way to learn more about the overall efficiency of your current AC/HVAC system is to keep an eye on your energy and electric bills. Keep track of how much energy you use each month, especially during the summertime in Memphis. If you notice that your energy bill is rapidly increasing even though you are using the same amount of energy, it may be time to take a closer look at your HVAC or AC unit. In some cases, when an HVAC unit requires a repair, cleaning, or replacement, it will begin working less efficiently while also requiring more energy to produce cool air, resulting in skyrocketing energy bills.
Staying Cool in the Memphis Heat Without AC
Staying cool in the summertime in Memphis is often easier said than done, especially if you are in need of AC repair or a trusted AC maintenance plan. When your HVAC system is not working, there are a few alternative methods that can help you and your pets remain cool as you wait for the right HVAC companies or air conditioning contractors to arrive.
Keep Blinds and Windows Closed
If you are stuck in the heat in the summertime in Memphis, you may be wondering how to stay cool. One of the first steps to take if you are inside a home without air conditioning is to close all of the windows as well as any blinds or window coverings that are currently in place. Keeping the blinds and windows closed throughout the hottest times of the day will minimize the amount of sun and heat that enters the home.
Regardless of your age and how healthy you are, staying hydrated is one of the most important elements of being in excessive heat for an extended period of time, even if you are indoors. Be sure to drink cool water regularly when you are exposed to high heat. Avoid drinking caffeine and sugary drinks, as these can lead to dehydration much quicker. Stick with cold water and continue to drink it while also eating to provide balance to your body.
Use Fans and Ice Packs
Another way you can stay cool if you do not have a working air conditioner in Memphis is to use any house fans and ice packs that you have available on hand. Whether you prefer desk or standing fans, they will help to circulate the air throughout your home, even if you do not have a working AC in the house. If possible, set your fans to operate in counterclockwise mode. This will help to create an ongoing wind effect to keep the space cooler for a longer period of time.
Freezing and alternating ice packs can also help you to stay cool while providing immediate relief.
Enter a Basement
Although basements are not readily available in all homes, they can be an extremely comforting place to cool off if you have one available during the hottest months of the year. Spending time in the basement during the hottest hours of the day can help minimize the risk of overheating or experiencing heat stroke, even for pets.
Preventative HVAC Maintenance
Whether you are a homeowner or you rent your property, maintaining your HVAC system is key to long-term use. If you want to minimize the risk of having your AC system shut down, there are a few tips to keep in mind, such as:
- Always verify that the condensation line connected to your HVAC system or AC unit is kept clean and clear. This will help to keep your unit working properly without issues and with less wear and tear over time.
- Remove any debris and/or dust that builds up around any HVAC or AC unit you have in or around your home. Always ensure that there is at least two feet, or 24 inches of clearance surrounding any HVAC unit, furnace, or air conditioner. This will provide adequate room for proper air ventilation and circulation.
- Always change your unit’s air filters on a regular basis. Most air filters recommend
- Call on HVAC service providers to ensure your HVAC system and AC unit will work when you need them most.
Advantages of Working With HVAC Service Providers
If you are in need of AC repair services, turning to HVAC service providers is highly recommended. While you may be tempted to repair or inspect your AC unit yourself, it is not advisable unless you are licensed and trained to do so in a professional setting. Some of the most notable advantages of turning to HVAC service providers include:
- Experience: Most HVAC service procedures involve experienced and trained professionals to assist with AC repair services and maintenance plans that are offered. Working with professionals is a way to maintain peace of mind while your HVAC system is inspected and your AC unit is repaired.
- Licensing and Insurance: Attempting to repair your own air conditioner can quickly lead to disaster, especially if more damage is caused to the unit itself. Professional HVAC companies hire licensed and insured employees who are permitted to work on the property of others. Those who do not carry licenses and insurance pose a risk to the homeowner of any property.
- Proper Tools and Equipment: There are many different HVAC systems and air conditioners available on the market today. Attempting to inspect and repair them on your own can lead to more trouble, ultimately resulting in costly repairs or replacements. When working with the right HVAC companies, you can rest assured knowing that they are using the proper tools and equipment needed to get the job done right.
Keeping your family and pets cool during the hot Memphis summer does not have to feel overwhelming with regular HVAC and AC repair services. With the right HVAC companies, ensure that your units work year-round providing you and your loved ones with the comfort and relief that you deserve when you need it most.